Monday, April 26, 2010

Malaysia Insects and Flowers

Share/Save/Bookmark
I arrived to Cameron Highlands with Jula and Martin. We settled into our hotel in the bunker and grabbed dinner at the hotel restaurant. I was craving vegetables, so I got a salad. Everything was fine until I bit into an onion and jumped out of my seat. My tooth wasn't happy. It had been hurting periodically, but not like this. This time, it was stronger and the pain wasn't going away like before. I ran to the bathroom and saw a rusty sink. I paused for a good 10 seconds, debating whether the water was drinkable and whether I should rinse my mouth or not. It was a decision between diarrhea and tooth pain. I went back and forth between the two and decided that tooth ache is worse, so I rinsed my mouth. It later turned out that the water was fine.

The next day, Jula and I took a tour of Tanah Rata, the town where we were staying. Below are some pictures of the insects and flowers from the tour.

The gardens consisted of a maze of paths, with beautiful flowers all over. I've seen many of the flowers in Huntington Library, but seeing them where they belong was absolutely spectacular. The hanging orchids in the picture below were everywhere.





At the butterfly garden, prior to seeing the butterflies, a local guide acquainted us with some peculiar insects.
Here, Jula is holding an insect that looks like an orchid.




I never knew that there are bugs on this planet this big. I thought that large insects only existed during dinosaur times. Crazy!




Here is an insect that looks like a leaf. When on a branch, it will move around resembling a leaf in the wind.





At the end of our tour, we made it to the butterfly garden. They were everywhere. Unfortunately, it was overcast and quite dark, so I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked. Here are a few that turned out







Here's where Cameron Highlands is located

View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. We are living vicariously through you. Put lots and lots of pics and many stories. Please please please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are gorgeous! I miss you and wish I can see everything you're seeing :-)

    ReplyDelete

 
Aauml Web Directory